Member for Western Victoria
Derryn Hinch’s Justice Party

Informal Reporting of Sexual Assaults

Mr GRIMLEY (Western Victoria) (12:07): My question is for the Attorney-General. Recently I was approached by a constituent in my electorate who alleged that she has experienced sexual assault. This person obviously does not want to be identified and does not want the circumstances of her alleged assault broadcast. She is hesitant to even report it to the police, despite this being my first recommendation, having worked at the sexual offences and child abuse investigation team in my former life. This situation is not uncommon, though, where sexual assault survivors do not want to make complaints to pursue their perpetrator for whatever reason but want to put their complaint and the circumstances of their assault on the record somewhere. Can the minister advise what the options are for informal reporting of sexual assaults for my constituent?


Keep up with the latest
Western Victoria News.

Subscribe to my newsletter…

Enter your details to keep up to date with what I am doing in Parliament and in the community.